Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bridgton, ME. Aug. 13th, 70 Miles. What a wild ride!!

We biked to Bridgton ME. today, some 70 miles from Lincoln, NH.  First thing, as soon as we got on our bikes at 7:40, we began a 12 mile climb up Kancamagus Pass in the White MTs.  Some 3,000 or so feet up.  I got up and over it no problem, I like climbing!  The descent was fast!  The ride was great the first 41 miles, where we then crossed the state line into Maine!!!!  I was elated!! I got choked up, and shared the moment with a father/son team also biking cross country, and headed to Lubec, Bar Harbor.  We each high fived one another and took photos on our cell phones.  The next 30 miles were pretty hairy...awful roads, high traffic.  There were more hills, but rolling, not mountians!  Still steep with awful maintained roads.  I got into Bridgton at 1:30 p.m. and felt really proud of myself as it was a really challenging ride in so many ways.  My camera was left in my suit case, so I have a photo of me at the Maine state line that was taken on my cell phone.  I'll try to figure a way to post it...  Tomorrow we ride into Bath, Maine, 67 miles away.  I can't wait to reach Bar Harbor on Tuesday.  So far I've ridden some 2,200 miles or so!  I am looking forward to Tuesday, when I dip my front tire into the Atlantic Ocean at the Pier in Bar Harbor, which will signify my cross country journey complete.
Love,
Kit

No comments:

Post a Comment